Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Quick scenarios of life in India

I do love living here, the daily amount of amazement and laughs is enough to cover me the rest of my life! There days I drive home and think ... Wow, I really DO live in India... crazy....



Some examples...



~ Angela got a great photo on the way to work yesterday... a tiny calf riding in between 2 guys on a motorcycle. The best part, the calf was completely complacent and looked very relaxed. Not sure where he was going, but he definitely didnt mind. Other interesting animals on the highway have been the donkey riding in the autoricksaw, his head out one end his butt out the other, a camel wandering down the 4 lane highway pulling a cart and the ever present bull carts pulling loads of construction equipment.



~ We ordered pizza for the kids last Friday night as a special treat (yes, we do have Pizza Hut here!). Tom ordered a large cheese and a large 1/2 peperoni and 1/2 black onion (I told you, our kids have weird tastes, see Kay's blog). The pizza came and we had 4 boxes. That's weird we only ordered 2 pizzas.... We open the boxes and I almost pee my pants I am laughing so hard - they have cut all the pizza's in 1/2 and put the 1/2's in separate boxes. I am sure that we are now known not only at the loudamericans, but those weird americans that want us to put their 1/2 of pizzas in separate boxes...



~ They have been doing construction work on the driveway to our building for the last month.
This has been entailing jack hammering, cement pouring, and sewer rebuilding. While this would be a challenging (and fun) project in the states, it brings construction to a whole new level here.... Most of the workers dont wear a helmet and the main jackhammer operator has been "operating" without a helmet, eye protection and in flip flips. My 1st thought was "holy crap, just dont look". WWOS? (What would OSHA say...) or as Angela says ...at least they look like they know what they are doing....

~ Your dreams here are SO vivid. I think its the sensory overload you get each day. Your brain just doesnt shut off. Some recent examples ... I dreamed Sean Penn was my driver. He was using it as method acting experience as he was going to play an Indian driver in an up coming movie. He insisted on calling me ma'am and no one at work could really appreciate that SEAN PENN was my driver! Angela and I were in awe. Then, I dreamed that Tom saved a giraffe from drowing by giving it mouth to mouth rescisitation. The zoo was so happy, they let Tom go into the giraffe pen and get his photo taken with the other giraffes. Did I mention that they were thrilled because the giraffe was pregnant with twins? Finally, and this was a while ago, I dreamed that I successfully recruited Britany Spears to my Target India team. That is what we could now call, a bad hiring decision.

I am sure there is more, but for today, this feels like MORE than enough:)